Volunteering with Habitat
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity is an experience you'll never forget.
Whether you're building houses, helping in the ReStore, working in the office, providing lunches, planning new ways to reach out and engage our community, or spending time as a mentor to our families, volunteering with Habitat means you are part of making a generational impact on a family's future!
The best part is, none of our volunteer opportunities require special skills - not even on our construction sites. All you need is a willing heart, able hands and a readiness to pitch in and help!
You can volunteer as an individual! Come work alongside others who have committed themselves to action.
You can volunteer as a group! Nothing builds cohesion like building a Habitat home together. Manage an existing group or start a new one—our projects involve companies, service clubs, professional associations, church groups and many other kinds of organizations.
Looking for something other than construction? We have opportunities in our ReStore where we sell donated building materials and home furnishings to fund our homeownership program. We also have opportunities in our administrative office.
What about youth? We love youth groups and school groups! And we have many of the same opportunities available to them. Just remember, while minors ages 16–17 are allowed to participate in construction work, we do have some restrictions and they must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Minors 15 and under are not allowed on construction sites except to bring food and drinks during the lunch break when there is no active construction. However, we would love to have them join us at the ReStore or in one of our other opportunities.
Have a volunteer question or want to sign up a group? Let's talk - email our Volunteer/Donor Coordinator!
Want to be a Volunteer Super Star? Then check out some online training and preparation courses below. Be sure to let our Volunteer/Donor Coordinator know when you pass a course by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include a copy of your certificate if applicable.
1) Volunteer Waiver - Go ahead and fill out your Habitat volunteer waiver. This will help you get to work faster when you get to the job site or the ReStore! Don't forget, though, we need a new one filled out each year.
2) Volunteer Code of Conduct - Just use Habitat for Humanity's Habitat Learns portal and create your own log-in to take the Code of Conduct course. Just search for "Volunteer Code of Conduct."
3) Foundations of Habitat for Humanity - Just use Habitat for Humanity's Habitat Learns portal and create your own log-in to take the Code of Conduct course. Just search for "Foundations of Habitat for Humanity."
4) Volunteer Safety - Just used Habitat for Humanity's insurance affiliate, Lockton, and check out a whole list of safety trainings. Use the access code W8NAEBTG. Of primary importance are "General Affiliate Safety," "Fall Safety," "ReStore Safety," "Volunteering on a Job Site."
5) If you are community service, you must attend a Volunteer Orientation session, held at 4PM on Mondays and 10AM on Fridays, beginning Sept. 11, 2023. If you are volunteering for school, church or just on your own, you may also attend these sessions to learn more about what to expect. Register with our Volunteer/Donor Coordinator Terri Taylor.
Sign up to volunteer on one of our construction sites.
Construction sites are open to volunteers on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and at other times by request only. Construction shifts are 8-11:30am. and 12-3:30pm each day. You can call (919-736-9592 x4) or email our Volunteer/Donor Coordinator to sign up to build - and let her know if you might be available for last-minute calls for help. Just tell her your days and times of general availability.
Sign up to volunteer at our ReStore.
The ReStore is open to volunteers Monday through Saturday. Volunteer shifts on Tuesday, 10-4; Wednesday-Friday, 10-2 and 2-6; and Saturday, 10-4. Again, just call (919-736-9592 x4) or email our Volunteer/Donor Coordinator to sign up and get on our schedule. And if you're available to come regularly, we'd love to have you!
Sign up to volunteer in our office, on a committee, etc.
Not interested in the construction site or the ReStore? Perhaps you'd like to volunteer in the office. We also need administrative volunteers in both our office and in the ReStore. In addition, we also are always on the lookout for people willing and able to provide lunch to volunteer groups and to help with community communications and fundraising efforts. Finally, last but certainly not least, Habitat also is always looking for interested individuals to serve on one of our committees, particularly our Family Services, ReStore, Site Selection and Finance committees. Click to send an email to our Volunteer/Donor Coordinator.
Additionally, if you're interested in volunteering to provide lunches to our volunteers from time-to-time, particularly when we have out-of-town groups joining us for multiple days, then please email the Volunteer/Donor Engagement Coordinator.