Lenoir County Homeownership
In late 2022 Habitat Goldsboro-Wayne received permission to formally expand our service area to include Lenoir County. And so as we continue to grow our ability to provide families with the opportunity to build better futures for themselves on new foundations of strength,stability and self-reliance, we are now taking applications for our next two new home construction projects. These two homes will be built on Harper Drive and Dunn Road in Kinston. Construction calendar and sweat equity progress permitting, construction on the first home is scheduled to begin in early 2024, with the second beginning in mid-2024 (calendar subject to change).
Applications for Lenoir County will be accepted from March 6 to May 12, with all required supporting documentation due no later than 4PM May 26. Applications must be in the Habitat office by 4PM on May 12 and all supporting documentation must be in the Habitat office by 4PM on May 12. Late submissions will not be considered. Please note, this application period is only for Lenoir County.
If you are unsure if you might qualify but are interested, please fill out the application and allow us to process it. We cannot speak to you regarding your specific circumstances, income levels or credit questions without an application. If you do not qualify, you will receive an "adverse action" letter explaining why and we will be happy to have a further conversation and offer suggestions about what steps to take next.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact us at 919-736-9592 x1 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hard copy applications can be downloaded from this site or picked up at and returned to:
The Habitat Goldsboro-Wayne office at 2719 Graves Drive, Suite 3, Goldsboro (M-F, 9-4)
(mailing address PO Box 10809, Goldsboro, NC 27532)
St. Mary's Episcopal Church at 800 Rountree St., Kinston (M-TH, 9:30-3:30)
First Presbyterian Church at 2101 N. Herritage St., Kinston (M-TH, 10-4)
How can I qualify for Lenoir County Habitat Home Ownership?
1) Complete the application and turn in all required documentation on time.*
2) Currently live or work in Lenoir County for at least the last year (12 full months).
3) Have a housing need:
a) Dilapidated/substandard housing
b) Conditions pose a health/safety risk
d) Government-subsidized housing
e) Rent costs more than $30% gross income
4) Have the ability to pay:
a) Meet income guidelines (40% - 80% median family income)**
b) Have projected debt-to-income ratio under 38%
c) Have stable income for last 24 months
d) Have not declared bankruptcy in last 24 months
e) Pay current rent/house payment on time
f) Have less than $2,000 in outstanding collections/judgements
g) Once in the program understand the need to notify staff immediately of any change in income
h) Once in the program understand the need to not take on any additional debt
5) Be willing to partner on sweat equity hours:
a) Minimum 300 volunteer hours for you and your household
i) 50 hours in first 60 days
ii) 15 hours per month thereafter - 7 on construction
iii) Extended family and friends can help with a portion
b) Be willing to work on construction & in the ReStore (other options in Lenoir County can be arranged)
c) Be willing to attend financial literacy classes, home-buyer classes and practical skills workshops
*DOCUMENTATION NEEDED AT TIME OF APPLICATION
Please be sure to include documents for both applicant and co-applicant, as well as any dependents (as applicable).
If applying online please turn in the required documents within 5 days of application to email@example.com with APPLICATION DOCUMENTS in the subject line or to 131 E. Walnut St. Please be sure to include names and documents for both applicant and co-applicant.
1) Fully completed application (completed online or using downloadable & fillable PDFs, available at right)
2) Last two years of W2s and/or 1099s (2021 & 2022) of ALL income coming into the home for applicants & dependents
3) Last two years of tax returns (2021 & 2022) for applicants & dependents
i) If self-employed, must show 24-month profit & loss statement
4) Last 60 days of pay stubs showing year-to-date (2 if monthly, 4 if bi-weekly, 8 if weekly)
5) Paperwork verifying alternative sources for applicants & dependent, including, but not limited to:
i) Social Security award letter
ii) Disability award letter
iii) Original court order for child support and/or alimony and payment documentation
iv) Retirement documentation
6) If self-employed, year-to-date profit & loss report
7) Two months (60 days) of bank statements
8) Written explanation of any known outstanding collections or judgements
9) Student loan deferral verification (if applicable and only if deferred more than three years)
10) Active duty or DD214 form (if applicable)
11) Current lease and copy of most recent money order receipt, bank statement or canceled rent check to evidence rent payment, or landlord reference/letter of explanation
12) Copy of Driver's License
13) Copy of Social Security Card
14) Copy of legal resident status (if applicable)
15) Please be sure to include names and birth dates of all dependents.
16) If you own land you wish to build on: a copy of the deed, any existing appraisal, evidence of property tax value and most recent payment and information about any liens.