Habitat Home Ownership
Thank you for your interest in applying for affordable home ownership through Habitat for Humanity of Goldsboro-Wayne. Please fill out the application completely and provide all of the required documentation listed. Incomplete applications cannot be reviewed and you will be contacted for additional information required. The qualifications that applications will be evaluated on are: live/work in Wayne County for at least 12 months, have a housing need, be within the income range, have the ability to pay an affordable mortgage, and be willing to partner with Habitat to complete sweat equity and a home ownership preparedness program.
Applications will be accepted between Sept. 1 and Oct. 15. All applications must be turned in by close of business on Oct. 15, 2022. If you have questions, please email email@example.com or call 919-736-9592 x 2.
If you are unsure if you might qualify but are interested, please fill out the application and allow us to process it. We cannot speak to you regarding your specific circumstances, income levels or credit questions without an application. If you do not qualify, you will receive an "adverse action" letter explaining why and we will be happy to have a further conversation and offer suggestions about what steps to take next.
How can I qualify for Wayne County Habitat Home Ownership?
1) Complete the application and turn in all required documentation on time.*
2) Currently live or work in Wayne County for at least the last year (12 full months).
3) Have a housing need:
a) Dilapidated/substandard housing
b) Conditions pose a health/safety risk
d) Government-subsidized housing
e) Rent costs more than $30% gross income
4) Have the ability to pay:
a) Meet income guidelines (40% - 80% median family income)**
b) Have projected debt-to-income ratio under 38%
c) Have stable income for last 24 months
d) Have not declared bankruptcy in last 24 months
e) Pay current rent/house payment on time
f) Have less than $2,000 in outstanding collections/judgements
g) Once in the program understand the need to notify staff immediately of any change in income
h) Once in the program understand the need to not take on any additional debt
5) Be willing to partner on sweat equity hours:
a) Minimum 300 volunteer hours for you and your household
i) 50 hours in first 60 days
ii) 15 hours per month thereafter - 7 on construction
iii) Extended family and friends can help with a portion
b) Be willing to work on construction & in the ReStore
c) Be willing to attend financial literacy classes, home-buyer classes and practical skills workshops
* DOCUMENTATION NEEDED AT TIME OF APPLICATION
Please be sure to include documents for both applicant and co-applicant, as well as any dependents (as applicable).
If applying online please turn in the required documents within 3 days of application to firstname.lastname@example.org with APPLICATION DOCUMENTS in the subject line or to 131 E. Walnut St. Please be sure to include names and documents for both applicant and co-applicant.
1) Fully completed application (completed online or using downloadable & fillable PDFs, available at right)
2) Last two years of W2s and/or 1099s (2020 & 2021) of ALL income coming into the home for applicants & dependents
3) Last two years of tax returns (2020 & 2021) for applicants & dependents
i) If self-employed, must show 24-month profit & loss statement
4) Last 60 days of pay stubs showing year-to-date (2 if monthly, 4 if bi-weekly, 8 if weekly)
5) Paperwork verifying alternative sources for applicants & dependent, including, but not limited to:
i) Social Security award letter
ii) Disability award letter
iii) Original court order for child support and/or alimony and payment documentation
iv) Retirement documentation
6) If self-employed, year-to-date profit & loss report
7) Two months (60 days) of bank statements
8) Written explanation of any known outstanding collections or judgements
9) Student loan deferral verification (if applicable and only if deferred more than three years)
10) Active duty or DD214 form (if applicable)
11) Current lease and copy of most recent money order receipt, bank statement or canceled rent check to evidence rent payment, or landlord reference/letter of explanation
12) Copy of driver's license
13) Copy of legal resident status (if applicable)
14) If you own land you wish to build on: a copy of the deed, any existing appraisal, evidence of property tax value and most recent payment and information about any liens.
** INCOME GUIDELINES
Family Size Total Household Income Range (2022 US HUD)
1 $18,320 - $36,650
2 $20,933 - $41,850
3 $23,533 - $47,100
4 $26,133 - $52,300
5 $28,266 - $56,500
6 $30,333 - $60,700
7 $32,466 - $64,900
8 $34,533 - $69,050